Former CMU professor was a constant fundraiser and community member

If Mary Ellen Brandell had one fault, it was wanting to make everyone happy.

Brandell, a former CMU communications professor, died from leukemia early Friday morning at her Mount Pleasant home. She was 76.

“She lacked the capacity to ever say ‘no,’” said David Ling, Isabella County Commission chairman. “There are few words to describe her as a person, but people who met her immediately fell in love with her.”

Visitation will be today from 5 to 8 p.m. and Tuesday from 2 to 8 p.m. at the Charles R. Lux Family Funeral Home, 2300 S. Lincoln Road. A funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday at Sacred Heart Church, 209 S. Franklin St.

Brandell was chairwoman of the Isabella County Founders Day event, the Isabella County Sesquicentennial Committee and led various other county groups. She received numerous awards including the John Cumming Isabella County Historical Preservation Award.

“She never took credit for any of the things she did — that’s probably what made her such a very fine leader on all these volunteer committees,” Ling said.

Ling said Brandell’s involvement goes back as far as he could remember.

Ling met Brandell when he first came to CMU in 1971 as a public speaking and debate professor and they remained friends ever since. Brandell taught communications disorders and speech therapy until moving into university administration.

“She worked very hard to make sure everyone was happy,” said Mount Pleasant resident Jack Westbrook.

Westbrook was Brandell’s neighbor and also a member of the Isabella County Sesquicentennial Committee.

“She is a great loss to the community and university as well,” Ling said.

Brandell organized the Mary Ellen Brandell Access to Recreation Fund, which raised about $200,000 to make the Access Adventure Trail handicap-accessible, while ensuring park maintenance.

Deanna Heath, former executive director of Woodland Hospice, knew Brandell as a very dedicated woman.

Brandell started the Dick and Mary Ellen Brandell Family Hospice House Fund and remained chairwoman of the committee after completing the program. She raised about $1 million for the hospice, Ling said.

“She was quite a force ---– there was no stopping her,” Heath said. “It will be a long time before someone like her blows through here again.”