Former trustee John Kulhavi selected as 2010 homecoming grand marshal

2003-600-41-john-kulhavi

John Kulhavi considers himself fortunate, humbled and honored to be Central Michigan University’s 2010 Homecoming Grand Marshal.

The former trustee was selected Aug. 22 to succeed “Trading Spaces” carpenter Carter Oosterhouse and “Little People, Big World” star Amy Roloff in the parade.

Kulhavi, a 1965 alumnus, will be involved in various affairs before the football team takes on Miami University Oct. 16.

“I think I was nominated because of the time I contribute to the university,” Kulhavi said. “I devote my spare time toward Central.”

Kulhavi is currently the chairman of the CMU Events Center Steering Committee. He also is a former chairman of the Board of Trustees and is senior vice president for investments at Merrill Lynch in Farmington Hills, where he leads the Kulhavi Wealth Management Team.

“We are very excited to add Kulhavi to the long and distinguished list of CMU homecoming grand marshals,” said Chris Austin, associate director of Alumni Relations. “He exemplifies everything we look for in the homecoming grand marshal.”

Kulhavi will be involved in the parade and in the halftime ceremony during announcements of the ambassador court. He will also attend several alumni breakfasts and dinners.

Austin said his work in Alumni Relations made it clear Kulhavi has been dedicated to CMU since stepping foot on campus.

Rich Juday, senior development officer for major gifts in Development and Alumni Relations, has worked alongside Kulhavi for five years. Juday is also director of the Events Center Steering Committee.

“If there is a major project being done on campus, somehow, some way, Kulhavi is helping make it successful,” Juday said. “It’s just a great honor to recognize (Kulhavi) for all that he does for the university.

Nominations for Grand Marshal are made in late spring and a committee from Alumni Relations reviews the nominations, Austin said.

Kulhavi said his long educational and working relationship with CMU have been extremely beneficial for both him and the university.

“I derived a lot from CMU,” Kulhavi said. “I do whatever I can to raise the esteem of the university.”