Little planned on Central Michigan University's campus for Sept. 11 anniversary

Adina Jebaratnam is just one of many students who vividly remembers the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001 and the impact it had on the nation.

However, the Midland senior was surprised to find that Central Michigan University had little planned to commemorate the ninth anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

“There always should be something for Sept. 11,” Jebaratnam said. “It’s a significant part of our history — not just in the number of deaths, but it provided us the chance for Americans to be unified.”

Volunteer Services is honoring the day by giving away red, white and blue ribbon pins on until Saturday in their office in the Bovee University Center. Students are encouraged by staff to wear the pins to remember the event.

Royal Oak graduate assistant Caitlin Cavanaugh helped make the ribbons.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for students, faculty and staff to take pause for the event that happened,” she said. “It’s easy not to think about it but it’s important — it’s a part of our history.”

Cavanaugh said the staff at Volunteer Services made about 100 ribbons and are running out.

Steve Smith, director of public relations, said he was unaware if any other related events were taking place at CMU this weekend. There were no other events listed on the university’s events calendar Web page.

“It doesn’t have to be anything big, but even a moment of silence across campus,” Jebaratnam said.

Other students look toward next year in the hopes of some tribute.

“I can see next year as the tenth anniversary,” said Shelby Township sophomore Tyler Gizinski. “It’s a milestone. It makes sense rather than doing it every year.”

Gizinski said having speakers talk about the day would still be a good idea on the university’s part.

Steve Wheeler, a resident assistant in Fabiano Hall, was not surprised to hear about the lack of a CMU tribute this year.

“I think that if the students really want to do something about it, they could have,” said Wheeler, a Rockford junior. “Society isn’t making a big deal about it and are too enthralled in their own lives.”