Online charter academy a possibility for Central Michigan University

The idea for a virtual charter school academy is being considered by administrators at Central Michigan University.

Jim Goenner, executive director of charter schools, said the university is interested in an online charter after two other Michigan universities have opened them.

“We are going to look at it very closely,” he said. “What’s exciting is the potential for the ability to deliver the best resources.”

The virtual charters are permitted under recent reforms passed as part of the federal Race to the Top program.

“No question — part of the future of education is going to involve distance learning,” Goenner said.

Out of eight eligible universities, he said only two can have virtual charter schools because of current state legislation. The Michigan Council of Charter Schools selected Grand Valley State University and Ferris State University to open the first two.

Tim Wood, special assistant to the president for charter schools of GVSU, said legislation must first be changed before more online charter schools are opened.

“We hope if the pilots are successful, it will open up more in the future,” Goenner said of the first cyber charters.

GVSU was approved for their virtual charter academy in April. The Michigan Virtual Charter Academy opened Sept. 7.

“We hope to provide opportunities to students and parents where there may not be an option for public schools,” Wood said. “If a student is not performing at a high level at a public school, then this is an option.”

The virtual charter academy enrolls 400 students — the maximum amount set by legislation.

The cyber charter school is operated through K-12, Inc., a Virginia-based company that has cyber charter schools in 28 states, serving 65,000 students.

Regina Umpstead, assistant professor of educational leadership at CMU, is excited by the idea of an online charter school.

“With our charter schools, we are innovative and to be on the cutting edge of virtual learning is really great for our school,” Umpstead said. “It’s hard to imagine replacing the traditional environment.”

Goenner said he is looking into research to determine how a virtual charter school will impact students. He said there is a lot of value in being able to interact with other students in a traditional in-person class atmoshphere.

Umpstead also sees a concern for communication through her experience teaching an online public school law course at CMU.

“How do you get to know them when you’re not actually seeing face-to-face?” Umpstead said.