Softball goes 1-1-1 in first day of Traverse City tournament

The Central Michigan softball team got a taste Saturday of what the spring season has in store for it this year.

CMU finished 1-1-1 on day one of the four-team softball invitational in Traverse City.

Opening the tournament, the Chippewas played to a scoreless tie against Notre Dame, 0-0. Senior Kari Seddon started the game and was relieved by freshman Chelsea Sundberg, who combined for the five scoreless innings.

"Our defense was real solid," said junior shortstop Molly Coldren, "but our offense was a little slow."

In the second game, the team lost 2-0 against Michigan despite another strong pitching performance. Sophomores Kara Dornbos and Sarah Patterson saw time in the circle, giving up a combined one earned run.

Wrapping up the day, the team added a couple late game doubles to defeat rival Western Michigan 2-1. Senior Amanda Klosterman came in as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the fifth inning and doubled to put the winning run on second. Coldren sent her home on a double.

The team plays the fall tournament to allow the team to see what they need to work on, and allow the young players to get out and experience collegiate ball.

"The purpose in the fall is to find who our game players are and who our practice players are for one," said CMU head coach Margo Jonker. "To have the players, expecially the freshman, understand the system, so by the time we play in the spring it won’t be the first time they’ve worn a triple-A uniform."

Between the three games, every healthy, non-redshirted player had a chance to play. Jonker was pleased by the team’s youth stepping up.

"Freshman catcher Corey DeLamielleure threw out a Notre Dame player attempting to steal second. Brittney Horan had a sacrifice bunt, a couple key hits and did a nice job defensively. In the outfield, Danielle Cabrera played really well, and overall, I thought the freshman did a nice job for us," Jonker said.

The Chippewas finish the tournament Sunday at Traverse City West High School.