Softball plays pair of exhibition games against FSU Sunday

The Central Michigan women’s softball team wraps up fall competition at 1 p.m. Sunday against Division II Ferris State in a doubleheader in Big Rapids.

“It will give us another chance to see a lot people in a lot of positions and to finalize our evaluation in a competitive setting,” said CMU head coach Margo Jonker, “(Then) we can start working on developing the skills we think we really need to work on.”

Both teams haven’t played each other in the regular season since 1984, when the Chippewas beat Ferris State twice, but both schools meet every year in the fall for exhibition games.

“The team is very excited to play this weekend. The games that we play in the fall are about getting to know one another,” said senior pitcher Kari Seddon. “We have 10 new people so its all about learning how each individual plays.”

FSU returns 12 letter winners, including pitcher Dana Bowler, who finished 8-10 last season with a 2.46 ERA. Offensively, the team is led by senior catcher Rachel Mueller, who finished the 2010 season with a team leading 21 RBI’s and two home runs.

While this weekend is FSU’s only fall series of the year, CMU is coming off a 2-2-1 finish at the Traverse City tournament last weekend, where they placed third.

“A couple players I thought did better than expected,” Jonker said. “I thought our defense was pretty strong and we were effective in the circle.”