The Journey to Sisterhood: More than 200 women 'jump' into sorority life

jms_sororityjump_06
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Beverly Hills senior Mary-Kate Kachel hugs a friend after jumping to Delta Zeta Friday at the Sorority Recruitment Jump in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. "I love my Gamma Ki family, but I missed every one of my sorority sisters" Kachel said.

Kelly/Shorts Stadium smelled more of perfume than of sweat Friday afternoon.

Sorority recruitment’s final stage — jump — where recruits announce which chapter they will join, was held on the football field for the first time. Members of Central Michigan University’s 11 sororities stood in the stands anxiously waiting to hear who they would soon greet as a sister.

For Phi Mu member Taylor Hart, it was a a highlight of recruitment week. It was her first experience with formal recruitment since joining the chapter in the spring.

“I liked how excited all the new girls were to finally go to their sorority,” the Jackson sophomore said, “and how excited the sororities were to get new girls.”

The women announced which chapter they were joining and jumped off the stage set up on field. The white-clad recruits were greeted with hugs, cheers and applause as the sororities celebrated the growth of their sisterhoods.

Formal sorority recruitment began Sept. 11 and ran throughout the week.

Birmingham freshman Stephanie Curcuru signed up for recruitment because her mother and sister went Greek during their college years.

She said she wanted to see for herself what it was all about.

“I’m looking forward to getting a taste of Greek life because I’ve never really seen it in it’s full potential,” Curcuru said before starting recruitment.

Recruits met their potential chapters in rooms in Grawn Hall to get to know each other, a change from earlier years when they visited the houses themselves.

“It makes the chapters more equal so people can meet girls for who they are and not for their house,” Hart said.

The new recruits eliminated two houses they would not like to return to the next day and each sorority cut girls. The revisiting and elimination process was continued until girls were left with at most three chapter’s preference parties to attend on Thursday.

Hart said the preference parties are meant to help potential members get to know the more serious side of each group and what sisterhood is really about.

More than 300 women began the week-long journey to jump, but by the week’s end only about 200 girls joined a sorority.

Curiosity also brought Chardae Whitson to recruitment this fall. The Birmingham senior said she didn’t want to graduate without seeing what it was like from the inside.

While neither ended up jumping, both agreed the experience was amazing.

“I really like how it’s set up so that you can see every house and it’s a mutual choice between sorority and girl whether you go back to that house,” Curcuru said. “I’m glad I went through recruitment. It’s definitely worth it just to know the Greek system better and it’s a great way to meet people and make friends.”

Whitson said her time commitment as president of the High Adventure Club kept her from going Greek. Whitson said she was glad she was able to experience formal recruitment.

“I found the process a little overwhelming at times but it’s definitely worth it if you’re able to find a group that fits you,” Whitson said.