Volleyball loses home opener, falls to 0-2 in MAC play

Not even the crowd could help.

The Central Michigan women's volleyball team dropped its second consecutive Mid-American Conference contest Saturday, losing 3-2 against Ohio in front of a crowd of 1,528 at Finch Fieldhouse.

Despite pushing the Bobcats to five sets, the Chippewas failed to capitalize on Ohio's errors, losing the fifth and deciding set, 15-11. The final scores for all five sets were 25-23, 23-25, 25-23, 23-25 and 15-11.

In a back-and-forth match, CMU was able to make several runs throughout the first sets, working its way around the league-leading blocking of the Bobcats.

CMU head coach Erik Olson said the team played much better in Saturday's match than they did in their MAC opener against EMU on Thursday, but some costly errors lead to the loss.

"Both teams made some runs off errors that need to be cleaned up by the end of the season," Olson said.

One bright spot in the loss came from the play of sophomore Katie Schuette. Schuette paced the Chippewas with 10 kills and 13 digs on the night. In addition to Schuette, CMU had three other players in double figures in kills: senior Lauren Krupsky, sophomore Val DeWeerd and sophomore Lindsey Dulude.

CMU (6-8, 0-2 MAC) continues conference play at 7 p.m. Friday when it travels to Muncie, Ind., to play Ball State.