91.5 WMHW to be taken over by alumni for 11th year this Homecoming weekend

Familiar faces are taking over the radio waves this weekend.

Alumni will seize control of 91.5 WMHW during Central Michigan University’s Homecoming starting at 12:01 a.m. on Friday and ending at Midnight on Saturday, said Bill Thompson, takeover coordinator and audio news editor for Michigan radio network.

“It’s our first year doing 48 hours straight,” Thompson said.

This will be the 11th year experts from across the country have descended upon the station to take over its operations.

This year there are about 25 alumni coming back to do the takeover.

Broadcast and Cinematic Arts instructor Trey Stohlman will come back for his third takeover.

“I think it is important for alumni to come back and share their stories and support from the industry with the new generation of students heading into the industry in the next couple of years,” Stohlman said.

The tradition started in 2000 when Thompson and other alumni had the idea to come back and take over the station. Thompson said since then, the Alumni Association has become involved to help organize the event.

“Alumni from all across the country come back,” Thompson said. “We are trying to get some of the newer alumni as well.”

Thompson said the alumni are not just from radio but are also from television, web, public relations and more alumni from all across the board.

“We have been calling it CMU’s new Homecoming tradition and it seems to be sticking,” Thompson said.

This year’s Alumni Takeover is being dedicated to associate professor Jerry Henderson, who retired after 35 years.

“We felt we should have a tribute to him because he has helped thousands of students over 35 years,” Thompson said.

The Alumni Takeover was thought of for alumni to come back and just have fun, Thompson said. He said many of the alumni are on the BCS advisory board and they return to help out the university.

“It’s a way to give back,” Thompson said. “(Alumni) give back to the university by helping out the department and help advise classes.”

He said the alumni will talk with the departments and keep update them regarding curriculum aspects with what is in use or has fallen out of favor in the ‘real world’.

Stohlman said it is a great opportunity for students to start networking and planning their careers.

“This is the largest gathering of individuals currently in the industry all in one place,” he said.

Stohlman will host The School of Rock from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday. He said it is a great time for the station to play classic rock and just have a great time with friends and alumi with some fantastic music.

Stohlman said he plans to stay active in the takeover as long as he is in the area.

“Seeing old friends and alumni come back, enjoy themselves and share with current students (are my favorite parts),” Stolhman said.