Chippewa Township car accident sends St. Louis man to hospital

A St. Louis man was injured and airlifted to a Saginaw hospital following a two-vehicle collision in Chippewa Township Monday morning.

A 2003 Ford F-150 pickup, driven by 34-year-old St. Louis resident Jason Robert Bobzien drove through a stop sign at East County Line and Pickard Road, according to a press release from the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department.

Bobzien’s vehicle struck a 1993 Toyota pickup, driven by Nathan Charles Lewis, a 22-year-old from Coleman. Lewis was traveling west on Pickard Road.

After the two cars collided within the intersection, Bobzien’s pickup continued north, where he lost control and ran off the road. The pickup turned over after hitting a few trees.

Pinned in his pickup, Bobzien was rescued out of his vehicle by the Shepherd Tri-Township Fire Department.

He was flown to Covenant Health Care Hospital in Saginaw and will stay overnight to be examined for possible chest issues.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said Bobzien suffered minor injuries. Both victims were wearing seatbelts.

“I don’t understand why he was flown over to Saginaw,” Mioduszewski said. “Victims should only be flown out due to serious injuries such as head injuries.”

Bobzien had taken prescription medications before the accident, the release states. It has not been determined if the medication contributed to the accident.