CMU pulls off second sweep of weekend

pc-vballvmiami-1
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Central Michigan University senior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky spikes the ball Saturday night during a conference game against Miami University at Finch Fieldhouse. CMU won 3-0.

The Central Michigan women's volleyball team made it a perfect weekend Saturday with a sweep of Miami.

With the win, the team extends their winning streak to two games and improves to 9-11 overall and 3-5 in the Mid-American Conference.

The Chippewas dominated throughout, increasing their margin of victory in every set. CMU won the first set 25-23, the second set 25-21 and the third 25-18.

“We had a good week of practice and everybody was focused," said junior middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz, who finished the game with 13 kills. "I think that helped us get this win and build momentum for next weekend."

The first set was back and forth for the first half until CMU broke a 13-13 tie with five consecutive points led by a sophomore Lindsey Dulude serving attack. The RedHawks would fight their way back, pulling within one point on two separate occasions, but the Chippewas held on to take an early 1-0 lead.

Miami appeared to carry over momentum in the second set, taking an early 12-9 lead. But CMU had another offensive explosion in it, going on a 9-2 run to take full advantage of the match.

Head coach Erik Olson said he hopes the momentum gained from the weekend can help the team turn a corner as it grows closer to the MAC tournament next month.

“Hopefully we have turned a corner here,” Olson said. "We're going to continue to take it match-by-match. We're not looking ahead, but we have high hopes for this team.”

Senior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky led the team with a game-high 15 kills. Senior defensive specialist Lisa Johnson had 10 digs, while sophomore Katie Schuette added eight.

Colleen Loftus had nine kills and nine digs for Miami (7-14, 2-6 MAC).

The Chippewas look to keep the winning streak alive next week when they travel to Akron and Buffalo on Oct. 22 and 23, respectively.