‘Dead Man’s Cell Phone’ opens Wednesday night at Bush Theatre

jms_deadmanscellphone_02
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Barryton senior Katarina Behrmann performs as Jean during the rehearsal of Dead Man's Cell Phone Tuesday evening in Bush Theater.

When a phone rings, many answer without worrying over who may be on the other end.

The newest production at Bush Theatre may cause students to question that reflex.

If you go...

What: “Dead Man’s Cell Phone”

When: Wednesday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m.

Where: Bush Theatre

How much: $5 for students and seniors, $7 for general public

The play will run at 7:30 from Wednesday to Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday.

Barryton senior Katarina Behrman, who portrays Jean, said she hopes people enjoy the modern drama and can relate to it in some way.

Her character answers Gordon, the dead man’s, mobile phone. One call leads to another and the story unfolds as she continues to answer the calls and discover more about its owner.

“I see Jean as a very sincere character and I think people will understand her in that way,” Behrman said.

Tim Connors, a professor of Communication and Dramatic Arts who has directed over 35 plays at CMU, said he hopes the performance will get people thinking of the ways people rely on cell phones and other electronic devices every day.

“It will answer interesting questions about the technology we use in our lives,” Connors said.

Students immediately check their cell phones and text at the end of classes, Connors said, when not long ago they would simply converse with one another in the room.

It will be good for students to learn a lesson or two about how we can take things for granted, he said.

Tickets can be purchased from the CMU box office for $5 for students and $7 for the general public.