Fremont, Rolland, Coe townships try hand at millage to join libraries; residents decide next month

Three townships are looking to expand the Chippewa River District Library with a millage after a county-wide millage failed in August,

Residents from Fremont, Rolland and Coe townships will vote on a 1.75 millage Nov. 2, making it possible for out-of-district libraries to join the CRDL These out-district libraries can join the CRDL.

This means other in-district libraries, such as the Veterans Memorial Library, 301 S. University Ave., will provide some administrative services and pay some costs, said Rob Wang, the district’s marketing and communications manager.

“The millage will provide these townships with stable funding to expand hours, add jobs and help with space issues and adding materials,” Wang said. “It will allow these smaller libraries in other townships to stay open.”

Fees for out-of-district patrons will be the same net cost as patrons who are paying a millage to support their library, Wang said.

After reviewing public opinion, the township boards of Fremont, Rolland and Coe decided residents did want to be a part of the CRDL and to reattempt the millage.

“The vote in August was a tri-township vote, with Rolland, Sherman and Fremont townships all voting on this millage,” said Fremont Township clerk John Schimmelmann. “But the problem was if one township failed it, we all failed it.”

The average house in Fremont is worth between $50,000 and $60,000, so the tax will be around $100 for most people, Schimmelmann said.

Sherman Township is attempting a different solution.

After polling residents, the township board determined it was the one which failed tri-township vote, said Sherman Township Clerk Denise Livermore. But not wanting to be completely without a library they are attempting to establish a township library.

“It’s not like we at the board were just sitting around and thought of this. We received petitions to set up our own library,” Livermore said. “There has been a lot of interest in it.”

The Sherman Township library will require a tax, but only at .75 mills. For households between $50,000 and $60,000, this tax comes out to around $40.

“I’m hopeful that this millage will pass,” Livermore said. “I think it is important for the township to have a library.”