International foods devoured at Food Relay for Homecoming

Students learned a new definition of “fast food” Tuesday night in Finch Fieldhouse.

The Homecoming Food Relay, organized by the 2010 Homecoming Committee, brought about 20 registered student organizations to compete in eating various victuals. Homecoming’s “Around the World” theme brought dishes including Hawaiian punch, hummus and pitas, lemon wedges, noodles, corndogs, rice, burritos and pudding.

Jacob Peterson was Program Board team’s designated pudding eater — though he was not given any kitchen utensils.

“As a group we talked about which food we were eating, and I was completely comfortable with getting food all over my face,” said Peterson, a Montague junior.

After all the dishes in the relay were eaten by the team members, they had to decipher the scrambled word on the bottom of the last plate.

The word on the bottom of the plate was “United Kingdom” because that was the pudding’s origin, Peterson said.

Peterson said he had so much fun participating in the food relay for Robinson Hall last year he decided to do it again.

“It was a lot of fun, and I got to get really involved on campus, meet new people and there’s free food,” he said.

The competition was funded by the Office of Student Life and the event was free for all participants.

The top three teams with the fastest times receive points for their group for the Maroon Cup and Golden Goblet competitions.

First place received 40 points, second place 30 points and third place 20 points. All teams also receive 10 points for just participating.

Alanson sophomore Sara Gokee said she decided to participate because she likes to eat food and can eat it fast. She is also the leader of Mock Rock for Barnes Hall and will participate in the trivia competition, the 5K race, field games and will walk in the parade.

Gokee said her favorite part of homecoming week is the atmosphere.

“I get to try new things and bond with people from the hall and show Central spirit,” Gokee said.