Jonker happy with more home-friendly schedule

Margo Jonker could not have asked for a better softball schedule.

“For one, we have a lot more home games this year due to the Mid-American Conference schedule,” said Jonker, Central Michigan softball coach. “We have four weekends at home versus the two of last year, so our home crowd will be able to see us play. That in itself is exciting.”

CMU hopes the cliché home field advantage plays a roll again this season.

The team finished the 2010 season 7-2 at home, with a 27-19 overall record, finishing fifth in the MAC.

“Playing the bigger games at home against teams such as Ball State, Miami, Kent State and Bowling Green are important because I feel like it gives us the extra advantage,” said junior Molly Coldren.

“We are very excited to play in front of our fans, and we get a lot of support, which means a lot to us.”

The Chippewas open up their spring season Feb. 18-20 at the Jacksonville University (Fla.) Invitational against Jacksonville, Jacksonville State and Florida A & M.

“We’re used to being on the road early because almost half of our schedule is on the road to let us play in warm weather,” Jonker said.

They start their spring break in Clearwater, Fla., when they take part in the University of South Florida Invitational on March 4-6. CMU finished the tournament 3-1 in 2010.

“Spring Break is a lot of fun and challenging because we play a lot of good Division I teams,” Coldren said. “Florida also gives us a lot of time to bond with each other and get to know each other a lot better.”

The Chippewas open the home schedule on April 6 against Detroit-Mercy.

They host MAC opponents Toledo on April 8 and Bowling Green on April 9 and 10, respectively.

“Playing at home isn’t a huge advantage, but it’s more fun and more comfortable than a foreign field,” Jonker said. “We love to see our fans and it will be an exciting team to watch play.”