School of Rock concert features area youth on tour

Four local rock bands jammed out at Broadway Theatre during the 2010 School of Rock’s “Great Lakes State” tour on Friday night.

The show included performances by Emergency Exit, The Pogo Spaqulus, Mr. Mercenary and Tachycardia at the theatre, 216 E. Broadway St. Each group played their favorite songs from their favorite bands.

School of rock was created by Ross Howell to teach 8 to 18-year-olds how to be part of a band, working from cover songs to writing their own music and going on “tour” across central Michigan.

Howell, who minored in music at Hope College, was impressed with the progression of his students after completing their seventh show of the tour.

“The night went very well,” Howell said. “They have learned a lot since they began rehearsing for the tour back in June.”

School of Rock has performed throughout the Mount Pleasant area and traveled to perform in Alma, St. Louis and Farwell.

Robin Shackelford followed her son, Tanner Shackelford, through the entire tour.

She said the program is a great investment.

“After watching my son for two years now, I would have to say that this is the best thing that has happened for him,” Shackelford said. “I am so pleased with how Ross works with the kids.”

Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart Academy sixth grader Patrick Ronan, 11, played keyboard for the group The Pogo Spaqulus. He has been involved with the School of Rock for three years.

Ronan felt his emotions swaying with the music when we was performing “Cheeseburger in Paradise,” originated by Jimmy Buffett.

“I could really express myself when I play that song,” Ronan said. “I can really rock out to it.”

Ronan’s best friend and classmate Rahuel Sahay, 10, was beyond impressed with the performance.

“I think Pat is the best person on the keyboard that I have ever seen,” Sahay said. “I play four instruments, but I am just an amateur compare to him.”

School of Rock was designed for students to learn how to play music, manage equipment, and record demo CDs like an actual band. The groups are formed based on age and skill level.

The last stop of the tour will be Friday at First United Methodist Church in Mt. Pleasant and a fall open house will follow on Oct. 29 from 6-7 p.m.