Sessoms, Cotter debate the future of Michigan, business, jobs, spending among topics a debate

Jobs and spending were the main focus again for Republican Kevin Cotter and Democrat Toni Sessoms Thursday night.

The two candidates for Michigan’s 99th district House of Representatives seat debated at a forum hosted by the League of Women voters.

Cotter advocated efficiency in all facets of the legislature, from the environment and roads to the budget and taxing.

“I see Michigan as a state in crisis,” Cotter said. “Everything trickles down from the economy.”

Both candidates agreed new taxing methods and less business regulations are the keys to letting small business thrive and bringing jobs back to Michigan.

Sessoms supports a tiered tax to lower the burden on the lower classes, while Cotter disagreed.

“A single mother working two jobs is paying the same tax as a corporate millionaire,” Sessoms said. “(A progressive tax) doesn’t have to be anything that’s going to gouge anyone.”

About 90 people attended the forum at Mount Pleasant’s City Hall, 320 W. Broadway.

Education was a hot topic in the debate, as Sessoms and Cotter debated funding and private school vouchers. Both candidates said education was a priority and concrete funding is a key to paying for Michigan’s schools.

The candidates debated other topics, ranging from the environment to Bridge Card abuse.

Sessoms reaffirmed her stance on restoring the Michigan Promise scholarship. She said taxes don’t have to be raised and money can be found in places like tax credits to fund the Promise.

“We look for places to save like a small business would. We’re bleeding money at that level,” Sessoms said. “The Michigan Promise was just that: a promise.”

Cotter voiced his disapproval for Proposal 1, which would facilitate a rewriting of the state Constitution, and said it would be too costly. Sessoms said it was an issue that should be left to the voters.

“This is not the time,” Cotter said. “We do have ways of changing the document without opening up the document.”