Campus Scouts keep Girl Scouts tradition alive by coordinating with local troops

vgz-campusscouts-01a
Victoria Zegler/Staff Photographer Britton junior Rebecca Unsicker, President and founder of Campus Scouts, meets with members of the new RSO to discuss up and coming projects for the spring semester, officer positions and fundraising Wednesday night during a general meeting for Campus Scouts in the Bovee University Center's Down Under Food Court. "Our main goal is to promote Girl Scouts along with helping other troops in the area," Unsicker said. Campus Scouts is coordinating 'Princess For A Day,' a self-asteem workshop for younger troops which will be held next semester on CMU's campus.

The members of Campus Scouts want to prove to Central Michigan University that you are never too old to be a Girl Scout.

Britton junior Rebecca Unsicker, president of Campus Scouts, said it is a volunteer group that promotes Girl Scouts and often works with some of the troops at schools in the area.

“I have been in Girl Scouts for a large chunk of my life,” Unsicker said. “I want to try to give back to it because it did so much for me. I also love to volunteer and get involved in the community.”

The organization was previously a registered student organization. Sterling Heights freshman Samantha Addington said it is undergoing changes and will be back in action next semester, when the main concern will be spreading the word about the group.

She said the group meets at 5 p.m. two Fridays a month in the Down Under Food Court.

Boyne City sophomore Sarah Gerberding was in the scouts all the way from kindergarten to her senior year in high school.

“It was a very rewarding experience,” she said. “It’s helped me with so many things, even jobs. Being a Girl Scout was why I won pageants because it showed I was involved in the community and was dedicated.”

Gerberding was Michigan’s 2006 delegate for Miss Teen America. She was recently crowned Michigan’s Perfect Teen. She said her years as a Girl Scout prepared her by teaching her to be grateful.

Addington feels the scouts have a lot to offer young girls as they go through the highs and lows of childhood.

“Girl Scouts is something that has died out and it can do so much for you,” Addington said. “That’s why we promote it. I think girls who don’t participate in Girl Scouts struggle without it and those who do it become more well-rounded.”

Unsicker said her many years spent in Girl Scouts taught her how to be disciplined and organized, and gave her the ability to balance being a student and president of the organization.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun once we get going with everything,” Addington said. “Any help is welcome.”

Staff Reporter Mike Nichols contributed to this report