Central/Western Weekend tailgate more popular than Homecoming's; alumni still displeased

Students, alumni and fans filled about half of the tailgate lot in Kelly/Shorts Stadium Friday for the Central/Western football game.

Clarkston senior Dave Barker said this was a poor turnout compared to previous years.

“There are more Broncos than Chippewas here today,” Barker said Friday. “It’s embarrassing.”

Central Michigan University Police Chief Bill Yeagley said the turnout was larger than Homecoming but did not give number estimate.

“There were no major incidents, just a few minor injuries and one or two disorderly arrest,” Yeagley said. “I don’t know how many OWI’s or MIP’s have been issued yet either.”

Alumnus Josh Brogan said when he attended CMU, the lot was always packed full.

“We used to fill up eight rows of cars; now we only fill two,” he said. “Tailgate sucks now. It used to be so much better.”

Alumnus Paul Wozniak said one of the reasons the team has had a difficult season could be related to the current tailgate.

“No wonder the team is sucking this year,” he said, “there’s no one in the parking lot supporting them.”

Brogan said because of the new tailgating rules alumni are less inclined to attend.

Barker said the section of parking lot for away team fans was almost just as full as Lot 63.

Though there were nothing major happened for the CMU Police, Wozniak said the problem was the lack of CMU fans attending tailgate.

“The real problem is that there are more cops and Broncos than there are Central fans,” Wozniak said. “It’s embarrassing to think about.”