Chippewas postseason play begins Tuesday

After a season, which featured many ups and downs, the Central Michigan volleyball team will begin postseason play when it hosts Miami University at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Finch Fieldhouse.

MU enters the match as the 11th seed while CMU comes in as the sixth seed. The Chippewas (14-14, 8-8) come into this Mid-American Conference tournament match off of a thrilling come-from-behind victory against Northern Illinois on Saturday, the fourth seed in this year’s tournament.

“We think there an very capable team,” said CMU head coach Erik Olson. “This time of year you can look at anyone but who you’re playing, we have to be ready.” MU (10-17, 5-11) lost a pair of matches over the weekend and stretched their losing streak to three.

On Oct. 16, in the teams’ only meeting this year, the Chippewas swept Miami (25-23, 25-21, 25-18). The CMU victory was part of a four-game win streak over MAC East teams the Chippewas had in mid-October. A win streak that allowed them to get back into contention.

And while the Chippewas will certainly be the favorite going into the match, they know that the RedHawks will be a much-improved team since the last time they saw them.

The RedHawks have three players with more than 200 kills on the season led by senior Michele Metzler and junior Amy Raseman, who come into the match with 262 and 245 kills respectively. Junior Colleen Loftus is the third member of the 200 club with 213 kills.

Sophomore Lisa Treadway anchors the defense averaging 3.04 digs per set.

The winner of the match will face the three seed Western Michigan this at 1:30 p.m. Friday at the Seagate Center in Toledo, Ohio.