Popular culture classes teach students connections between modern life, literature, art

Stodgy courses on Renaissance classics aren’t the only subjects on tap for the English Department.

Associate English professor Jeffrey Weinstock teaches ENG 324: “Popular Culture in America,” detailing topics such as the World Wide Web, the Internet and graphic novels.

“The students in the class tend to be enthusiastic about the topics,” he said, “and I keep the syllabus flexible so that we can cover things everyone is interesting in.”

He feels pop culture classes have great educational value, saying such knowledge “helps us see the ways that we create meaning.”

Algonac sophomore Kailin Kleintjes agrees with Weinstock’s view of popular culture classes at CMU.

“Learning about pop culture helps you relate to the real world,” Kleintjes said.

Kleintjes is currently taking HON 321: “Dark and Handsome.” She said they are required to read books for class and then discuss the dualistic qualities of the pieces.

“Our professor is really funny and makes pop culture references all the time, like about ‘Jersey Shore’ and stuff,” Kleintjes said. “It’s different than any other class I’ve taken, and I really like that.”

Lansing sophomore Emily Forgrave, who is planning on taking a course about vampires next semester, is a little more skeptical about the scholarly value of classes dealing with popular culture.

“(Pop culture classes) don’t have much educational value, but they should offer them if people need those extra credits,” Forgrave said. “It’s always good to take a class that interests you.”

Forgrave said she felt popular culture classes make more sense for people in journalism or broadcasting majors since they deal with current events on a daily basis.

“I think it’s more the entertainment business that has to do with modern society,” Forgrave said.

Weinstock feels popular culture classes have gotten a bad reputation because of the topics they discuss sometimes.

“People tend to think pop culture classes are not as rigorous or valuable,” Weinstock said. “Not many people read the old classics, but everyone reads ‘Harry Potter,’ so what has the bigger influence?”