Board to visit RFoC next month to evaluate facility, gather information to vote on renovation proposal in future

Discussion about the renovation of Carey Hall's Real Food on Campus Residential restaurant is on hold until the trustees experience it themselves.

Vice Chair Marilyn French Hubbard said the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees will not vote on a proposal to renovate the restaurant until after they meet for lunch next month in the RFoC to evaluate the facility.

The RFoC proposal incorrectly made its way onto the official agenda for the Thursday meeting.

The board did not vote on the $850,000 renovation project for the RFoC as previously reported, said Steve Smith, director of public relations.

“It was something that was inadvertently left on the agenda,” he said. “It was a simple mistake.”

Hubbard said they did not vote on the project because the members didn’t have enough information; the visit next month will help them assess the project and determine its viability.

“We didn’t feel that we knew enough about it,” she said.

University President George Ross said the project is still under serious consideration because the RFoC has not been “refreshed” in eight or nine years.

“You will probably see it at a future meeting ... (but) I don’t know when it will come back to the board,” he said.

Shaun Holtgreive, associate director of Residence Life, said the new facility will allow Residence Life to provide Towers residents a better living experience at CMU.

“It’s a much needed upgrade,” he said.

The proposal requests board authorization for “the planning, design, construction and equipping” of the first phase of the renovation project.

The Phase I renovation includes new seating and architectural elements. According to the proposal, the new design will create eight unique seating areas which will provide “multiple dining experiences.”

The project will also include a new front entrance, energy-efficient lighting enhancements, technology improvements and new signage, graphics and color palette.

The proposal states sustainability initiatives will be considered in all areas affected by the renovation.

If approved, the project will be funded by the auxiliary maintenance, renovation and replacement fund.