Central Michigan Community Hospital introduces new MRI scanner

dsc-7102
Sara Winkler/Assistant Photo Editor Cathi Moreno, right, and Chris Bellanca, left, demonstrate a scan on Central Michigan Community Hospital's new MRI machine. Both Moreno and Bellana are registered technicians in MRI and radiology. Moreno says that increasing the size of the machine is one of the most important improvements they've made. "The biggest thing is the size, how open it is," Moreno said. "That's huge for claustrophobic patients. It's more comfortable."

A new, more comfortable MRI experience has come to the Central Michigan Community Hospital.

CMCH recently installed a 1.5T Vantage Titan scanner from Toshiba. The new MRI scanner offers a larger open bore, with more space, lights and a much quieter run.

“The open bore gives people more room and it’s not closed off so people shouldn’t have as much trouble with claustrophobia," said Cathy Moreno, a certified radiographer and MRI technician. "That’s the biggest benefit from the new scanner.”

The machine is also capable of making most scans with the patient going feet first, which further eases the problem of claustrophobia. The machine is also quieter and faster than other MRI scanners.

“Other scanners can take up to 45 minutes but ours only takes 15 to 20 minutes for most scans.” said Chris Bellanca, also a certified radiographer and MRI technician, “That also helps keep the patients calm while in the machine.”

Satellite radio and a CD player are available to patients while they are going through the machine, as well as lights that line the inside of the bore. A vacuum seal and dampening materials also help the machine be 80 percent quieter than other scanners.

“This way it's less like dropping into a black hole. it’s easier on the patients.” said Moreno.

The new machine offers other benefits such as the ability to scan patients who weight up to 440 pounds as well as offering patients the opportunity to raise their legs or do scans while on their sides. The large bore also provides a better and clearer image faster.

“We also don’t have to use contrast to view blood vessels, this makes it easier for patients who can't use contrast solutions because of their kidneys or some other condition,” Moreno said.

Moreno and Bellanca said they will train to  perform breast MRIs and breast biopsies in the next month or two.

The new MRI scanner is located in a recently remodeled and renovated portion of the hospital.

“We want the patients to feel relaxed and comfortable when they are getting an MRI,” said Nicole Sanders, marketing and community relations specialist for CMCH.

The new MRI is open for appointments 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“The staff tries to be as accommodating as possible,”  Sanders said, “So if a patient needs a weekend scan, the staff will try to get them in on the weekend.”