Students feel little impact in early stages of health care reform

Many students have yet to feel the effects of health care reform since it was signed into law last March.

Proponents of the law, however, have said many changes have already been implemented and are helping people right now.

“I haven’t really noticed any differences,” said Byron sophomore Andrea Paulin. “I mean, I guess I haven’t had any medical situations, but yeah, I haven’t noticed.”

Paulin receives her health insurance through her work.

The Affordable Health Care Act grants protections and safeguards to the clients of health insurance companies.

It eliminates the possibility  of a company denying a child with pre-existing conditions coverage and  halts the company’s ability to eliminate or limit coverage in the face  of serious conditions. It also prevents companies from limiting the  choice of doctors for a patient.

“Various portions of the law  will affect people differently, but by and large every constituent will  feel the benefits, said Bryan Thomas, spokesman for U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Michigan.

Matt Williams, spokesman for U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigan, said the senator supported the bill in addition to Levin. The act extends coverage of  children on their parent(s') plan to the age of 26.

“That will be huge for many  young adults either going into college or graduating ... that  first job might not offer insurance,” Williams said. “It will help a  lot of people.”

Some students were not even aware the changes had occurred.

“I  never really heard about  it,” said Durand junior Brett Warner. “I  guess I might have seen it on  TV, but I don’t really watch much news so  I don’t really know.”

Warner gets his insurance through his parents.

Lansing senior Aaron Shelle has not noticed any differences either. Shelle had gallbladder surgery last semester, which was covered by his insurance.

“I get my health insurance through my wife’s work,” Shelle said. “So far we haven’t noticed anything new with it.”

The act aims to eventually close the Part D “donut hole.” This portion of health care offers payment  for prescription medication up to a certain point, then forces patients  to cover the cost of the medication until the patients pay $4,550 out  of pocket, including the deductible and co-payments.

Under the act, patients will  receive a $250 rebate if they enter the coverage gap. In 2011, a 50-percent discount will be provided for medication purchased while in the gap. The act’s goal is to completely close the donut hole and have  insurance companies pay the majority of the cost by 2020.

While some of the benefits are available and being felt now, many will come into effect in 2014, Williams said.

“In 2014, the health care  exchanges will begin. These will make it easier for people to get  affordable health care, because people are pooling together for the  insurance,” he said. “But if you like what you have, you can keep  it.”