Tribe water park still on track for spring completion

Work to construct a new water park at the still-empty site of the former Soaring Eagle Inn and Conference Center is still on track for the spring.

The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe has contracted with Horizon Construction Group to begin the project off Pickard Street once weather heats up. The planned 45,000-square foot facility will be renamed the Soaring Eagle Inn and Water Park.

The project will last about 15 to 18 months with completion expected by the summer of 2012, said Lisa Darnell, business systems analyst for Migizi, the tribe’s economic development entity. Demolition of the original building at 5665 E. Pickard St. was completed in October.

“It’s meant as a family destination,” Darnell said. “It will be great for the tribal community and the rest of the community.”

The tribe proposed the water park as one way of attracting more tourists to the area. It will include a swimming area, water slide, activity pool, lazy river and a “kiddy-dump station.”

Construction of the adjoining hotel will include 224 rooms, a restaurant and lounge. A fitness room is also planned as part of the project and a conference room will have a seating capacity of 50.

“The new water park is going to be a great addition,” said Union Township Supervisor John Barker. “I can see myself taking my grandkids there.”

Union Township will provide water for the park’s operations, Barker said.

Employment opportunities for the park will include lifeguards, marketing and hospitality workers.

“Any time we can have jobs created in our community, that’s tremendous,” Barker said. “When the tourists aren’t there, the community will also get to enjoy this.”

The Green Suites, 1900 Summerton Road, has been kept open for Soaring Eagle Casino guests since the demolition of the former inn.

The project cost for the inn and water park is not being disclosed, Darnell said.