College of Medicine's first class delayed until 2013 with new timeline announced Tuesday

The College of Medicine's doors will not open for its first class of medical students until summer 2013 — a year later than previously projected.

Dr. Ernest Yoder, College of Medicine founding dean, recommended a year-long delay for the project, which was slated to be ready for students by summer 2012, to further prepare for Liaison Committee on Medical Education accreditation.

University President George Ross notified the campus community in an e-mail Tuesday morning.

“It will provide sufficient time to prepare for the stringent accrediting process,” Ross said.

Provost Gary Shapiro said Yoder proposed delaying the opening in a memo Feb. 8, and Shapiro and Ross concurred it was an appropriate move.

Ross told senators and attendees at Tuesday's Academic Senate meeting the delay is "the norm and not the exception" in terms of universities undergoing the process.

The news comes three weeks after Dr. Nehad El-Sawi's resignation, the former associate dean of Medical Education and Faculty Development. Yoder said the accreditation process would not be affected by her departure.

Shapiro said her role included curriculum development and has been redistributed to the other deans and faculty within the College of Medicine.

Ross said he was not familiar with Yoder’s statements following El-Sawi’s resignation, but delaying the accreditation will be to the university’s benefit.

Ross said the additional year will allow time to present a stronger accreditation case to LCME.

He said the application for LCME accreditation has not been prepared yet and will not until 2012 to prepare for the inaugural class in the summer of 2013.  Initially, the LCME application was to be completed this month in order for the organization to visit in June and approve accreditation.

Ross said the university is “in constant contact” with LCME.

“They are quite aware of our status and our decision to make applications (for accreditation) in 2012,” he said. “They have been consulted about decision plans for the university discussions with the dean about curriculum. They have been very supportive on how we are structuring (the College of Medicine).”

Ross said the move is the proper one because it adheres to the university’s core values.

“While this is difficult, it is the right decision for the university,” he said. “Our goal has been and remains to create an outstanding medical academic program to recruit outstanding students and faculty. Our vision for the College of Medicine remains.”

Yoder said structural and financial plans are still “on track” for the College of Medicine in Monday’s edition of CM Life.

“Dr. Yoder was specifically referring to the construction of the facility,” Ross said. “That facility is on schedule, and speaking specifically to the capital campaign, which is also on schedule.”

Shapiro said fundraising continues to be an ongoing process; individuals from the College of Medicine will move into the building upon completion.

“There’s a great deal to be done prior to the students entering the building,” he said.

-Staff Reporter Sienna Monczunski contributed to this report