COLUMN: Finding a reason to smile

He rocks back and forth, slowly, nervously, watching the final seconds of the Super Bowl.

The biggest snap of the game is upon us. With Green Bay up by six, Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger drops back, plants and delivers on fourth-and-five. This game could be about so much more.

It could be about the four former CMU players in the game, including Frank Zombo and his sack against Flozell Adams.

About one’s disdain for Aaron Rodgers. About Ben Roethlisberger’s comeback from bar bathroom stardom.

About another terrible — really terrible — halftime performance and all the other charades surrounding the game. About the commercials.

About Jerry Jones, and his billion-dollar stadium.

It could be about a brilliant ending.

But no. It’s about him.

Simon Store. He’s the one. He’s the “Yooper” — those inferiors from Michigan’s north.

It’s also Packer Nation.

Simon loves the Packers. Simon is a roommate. He has littered the residence with an authentic Bart Starr jersey, a Brett Favre jersey, a Donald Driver jersey, various other Packers memorabilia and his genuine Packers filth.

That’s what Simon is. Filth. This, of course, comes from a Lions guy.

A guy that’s been through 0-16, been through the Matt Millen regime, and the Marty Mornhinweg infamous “take the wind” overtime call years ago in Chicago.

But it’s Simon’s day, and he’s basking in its glory.

Flash back to halftime. Green Bay has a comfortable cushion and a quarterback that’s well in control.

Simon is bouncing around like he’s never bounced before.

Up 21-10, he keeps it loose.

Until now. Packers corner Charles Woodson has just been ruled out with a collarbone injury.

Simon is worried.

And then, a huge — huge — James Jones drop, maybe preventing a Green Bay touchdown.

“Oh my God! Catch the (expletive deleted) ball! He did the same (expletive deleted) thing against Philadelphia!”

Simon is upset. Things are beginning to unravel.

Rashard Mendenhall just made it worse. The Steelers running back scores on an 8-yard scamper early in the third quarter.

What once was a 21-3 lead, now is 21-17.

Simon takes a deep breath. He leans back in his seat behind the Ottoman. He’s suddenly tense.

He swears profusely.

Trying to calm himself, he tells the room that Aaron Rodgers has played “perfectly” today, that he should have four touchdowns at this point instead of two.

Clap. Clap. Clap. Claps of fury. He claps at anything positive. Simon is unleashing his passion on us all.

He acts calm, but he’s not.

Mendenhall fumbles in the fourth quarter. Simon is elated. Green Bay’s Jordy Nelson drops a first down. He’s irate.

“What the hell is going on?!”

Now, Green Bay finds itself up 11. But a Pittsburgh score and 2-point conversion cuts it to three.

Pure silence. Simon is numb.

But it all comes down to fourth-and-five, about a minute to go — the end of it all.

The game is on the line. Simon’s heart is on the line.

Roethlisberger’s pass, floating through the air in slow motion, hits the hands of receiver Mike Wallace. It ricochets away, falling to the ground slow, slower...

Unbearably slow.

Simon, nervously rocking back and forth, watches the ball hit the ground.

He finally has reason to scream. The game is over. Packers 31, Steelers 25.

Simon has found a reason to smile.