Former Union Township supervisor selected Mount Pleasant Citizen of the Year

a1-cocawards
Bethany Walter/Staff Photographer Mount Pleasant resident Ken Schaeffer pats his wife Bonnie Schaeffer on the back after he makes a speech after he wins the 2010 citizen of the year award during the 53rd annual Chamber of Commerce awards at Bucks Run Golf Club, 1559 S. Chippewa Road on Saturday night.

Cheers and laughter erupted from the Bucks Run Golf Club banquet hall Saturday night when Ken Schaeffer was selected as Mount Pleasant Citizen of the Year.

The Union Township resident and former supervisor received his award at the Mount Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce's Annual Awards Banquet at the club, 1559 S. Chippewa Road.

"I'm humbled, almost speechless," Schaeffer said. "(The Citizen of the Year award) is one of the highest honors you can receive."

Awards presented Past Chair Award: Rob Stout Ambassador of the Year: Sandy Lucksted Charles E. Anthony Award: David Moscardelli Outgoing Chamber Board Members: Lynn Pohl and Connie McCann

He said community involvement is important because it helps residents know what is going on, and it helps keep retired people active.

"If you're involved, you have your finger on the pulse and you know where (the community) is going," he said.

Caring for others

Several other awards were also given out to notable citizens.

Ruth Anne Sowle was one of several people to receive an Eagle Award. Sowle, who helps fundraise for Community Cancer Services of Isabella County, said she was humbled by the award and not sure why she was chosen for it.

"There are so many people who deserve this award and I accept it for all (the volunteers), one person can't do it by themselves," the Mount Pleasant resident said.

Sowle is a prominent figure in the fund raising for the organization. The majority of the money raised goes toward gas expenses for cancer patients who must travel to treatments across the state and country.

"When I walk into businesses, people try to avoid me because they know I'm asking for them to contribute," Sowle said.

She said most businesses contribute anyway.

Sowle is also a member of the Nancy Carey Support Group for women with cancer and was able to raise just less than $6,000 for her team, Into the Light, last year.

She is a 14-year breast cancer survivor and is now focused on her sister-in-law's upcoming surgery for esophageal cancer.

Sowle said Mount Pleasant is a unique, family- and community-oriented city.

"I'm proud to be a member of Isabella County," she said.