Gymnastics ends Kent State's four-year undefeated MAC streak

The Central Michigan women’s gymnastics program accomplished something on Saturday that it hasn’t in more than four years — a regular season win against rival Kent State.

Winning by a score of 195.100-194.875 against the No. 14 ranked Kent State, the Chippewas put an end to the Golden Flashes conference winning streak that dated back to February 2007.

“I think it was really a great moment that we stopped Kent’s four-year winning home streak,” head coach Jerry Reighard said Sunday. "I think that really tells us that we can be the team that we set goals to be.”

Boosting their record to 10-1 (3-0 Mid-American conference), The Chippewas claimed overall wins in two events (vault and floor exercise), while matching Kent on the bars.

CMU opened the meet with the daunting task of taking on a Kent State squad that came into the night leading the league on the bars with a per-meet average of 49.060 (No. 4 national ranking). But the Chippewas were up to the task and quickly took the lead (48.850), behind a 9.800 from junior Kristin Teubner. Junior Samantha Piotrowski set the pace with the first routine, in what Reighard said set the pace for the rest of the meet.

“She (Piotrowksi) had an excellent routine, she stuck her dismount and I think that really lit everyone up,” he said. “It really solidified the fact that we were there to compete.”

The second rotation on the night saw Teubner post a career-high 9.925 score to the lead the squad to an overall season-high score in the event with a 49.125. Sophomore Megan McWhorter finished second overall in the event with a personal best of 9.825.

The third event saw the team take a commanding lead in the floor, where they posted a season-best 49.100 score. Senior Cheryl Conlin led the team behind a 9.875, and sophomore Britney Taylor took the second spot with a 9.850.

The final event of the night saw the Chippewas make an unfamiliar mistake on the beam. Despite coming into the meet ranked 14th on the beam, the team accounted for one fall in the event, which lowered their overall score to 48.025. Teubner would again lead the event with a 9.775. Reighard said that Conlin’s routine was a defining moment for the senior, and one that solidified the team’s performance in the meet.

“She had just a probably as near of fall as anyone can have without falling,” Reighard said. “But she pulled it around and I really feel that was the winning moment of meet.”

The Chippewas would also claim another unlikely victory in the all-around category with Teubner claiming first overall behind a career-high of 39.250. Freshman Brittany Petzold took third place behind her 39.025 score. Previously, Kent State’s Christina Lenny held the all-around lead in the MAC, but Lenny only managed a 39.225 on Saturday.

“Kristin had the best day of her career so far as an all-arounder,” Reighard said. “When she went against Kent’s No. 1 all-arounder (Christina Lenny) we knew that it was going to be a battle, and it was nice for Kristin to come out on top.”

With two recent wins against nationally ranked Minnesota (No. 13) and Kent (No. 14), Reighard said that his team proved that they can compete against national contenders and feels that those wins will provide a lot of momentum moving forward.

“We feel that we’re certainly a contending team for being in the Top 12 or 15,” Reighard said.

The team will look to build upon their undefeated league record when they travel to Kalamazoo to take on rival Western Michigan at 1 p.m. Sunday. The Broncos currently sit second in the Mid-American Conference.