CMU graduates less than average international students from still-growing engineering program

As the U.S. struggles to regain prominence in science and innovation, Central Michigan University is looking to make a name for its young engineering program.

The U.S. ranks No. 48 in quality of education in math and science, according to the World Economic Forum, while China has become the world’s No. 1 high-technology exporter.

Mechanical engineering instructor Daniel Chen said this trend may be more a matter of other nations catching up than the U.S. falling behind.

“Other nations are growing quickly as the demand for technology rises,” he said. “Now these countries are developing a standard for us to follow.”

Foreign students earn about 6 percent of all bachelor’s degrees given by U.S. universities, according to a 2009 report by the American Society for Engineering Education. Also, foreign students have more than half of all U.S. doctorate degrees; trends show these numbers will likely rise.

Though the number of international students in the CMU engineering program has increased this year, it is still only in single digits, Chen said. Most engineering students at CMU come from within the state.

“It is still a very new program,” Chen said. “I guess we haven’t made our name yet.”

CMU’s engineering program began in 2004 and was accredited in 2009, Chen said. He thinks the program is still in "expansion mode."

Grand Rapids junior Waylin Wing studies electrical engineering and thinks the program at CMU is as good as anywhere else.

“The teachers are confident,” he said. “I don’t think it matters that the program is still really new.”

The struggle to innovate could be a result of the U.S.’s lack of emphasis on math and science, Wing said.

Mechanical Engineering major Alex Vallender, Beaverton sophomore, said the struggle to innovate is not due to a lack of awareness.

“It takes specific skills and interests to enjoy engineering,” he said. “Our culture says, ‘Do what you like doing,’ and many people wouldn’t like doing this.”

Chen blames high school education for the lack of interest in engineering because students are not always prepared for the program.

“I think a lot of students are scared of it,” he said, “or they are interested, but lack the credentials.”

Chen said CMU’s engineering program will grow. More international students will likely enroll in the program, though it may take years before CMU meets the nation’s average.

“I like to see diversity,” Chen said. “It will be beneficial for the students.”