Study shows Michigan trails only Colorado in 'brain drain' of educated people

Michigan is running out of smart people — at least according to 24/7 Wall St.

The publication recently reported Michigan is second on a list of states running out of educated people, a loss commonly termed as "brain drain." Only Colorado ranked worse.

The rankings were determined by people's educational achievement level and by their job levels compared to other states.

“Most of the employers that come to campus have hired (Central Michigan University) alumni in the past,” said Career Services Director Julia Sherlock. “We try to help students find jobs anywhere, but we do partner with Michigan businesses and companies.”

The report looked at the number of Michiganders with bachelor’s degrees and their movement in and out of Michigan. The state lost 6.17 percent of people with college degrees from 2000 to 2009. This loss was the biggest drop out of all of the states.

“The career center helps students prepare their professional materials and helps them set realistic expectations for themselves,” Sherlock said.

The Office of Institutional Research and Planning reported 59.9 percent of a typical first-time freshman class graduate with a bachelor's degree within seven years. Also, 19.2 percent graduate in four years or less, 45.6 percent graduate in five years or less, and 56.2 percent graduate in six years or less.

The 24/7 Wall St. report cited its findings as a result of the downturn Michigan’s automobile industry has faced.

“A bachelor’s degree is a good degree for any entry-level position,” Sherlock said. “Students need experience in the workplace.”

The publication also analyzed National Assessment of Educational Progress reading and math scores from 2003 to 2009.

The study concluded Michigan’s eighth graders experienced the fourth-greatest decrease of reading test scores from 2003 to 2009. They also had the third worst change in math scores in that period.

Harbor Springs junior Katelyn O’Bryan said knowing Michigan’s scores were down concerned her as a future educator.

“It’s a shame to know the lowest scores were reported in reading and math,” she said. “Developing proficient reading skills is critical to succeed academically in all subject areas across the board, even in math.”

O’Bryan said math has always had a negative reputation as students’ least favorite subject to learn, and teachers have apprehensive and nervous attitudes toward teaching the subject above all others.

“I’ve always believed that teaching a subject effectively has a lot to do with the teacher’s attitude toward the subject,” she said. “When teachers show passion and excitement for the subject matter, student’s attitudes toward learning it are directly affected.”

O’Bryan said reading scores may improve if teachers implement a more enthusiastic way to teach the subjects and show students how these subjects will affect their personal lives.

She said she grew up in Michigan and would love to find a teaching job in the state.

“I’m not sure how likely that will be, even with teacher buyouts,” she said. “My older brother was lucky and found a teaching job within a year after college graduation, but his girlfriend, like many other education graduates I know, has been unable to find a teaching job in Michigan for a few years.”