Anonymous donation to WMU's medical school project the largest gift ever given to a Michigan university

Western Michigan University announced Tuesday it received a $100 million anonymous donation for its developing medical school.

Reportedly the gift is the largest donation a university in Michigan has ever received and the 15th largest nationwide.

"This is a gift not just to the university but to the community, the region and the state," said WMU president John Dunn in an interview with the Kalamazoo Gazette.

Dunn said the medical school would require between $175 million and $300 million in endowment funds, and tuition and financial support from Borgess Medical Center and Bronson Hospital in prior interviews with the Gazette.

Erin Smith, Bronson media spokesperson, said the hospital offers resources and staffing.

"There has been no financial commitment at this time," Smith said.

WMU is not funding the medical school with public money or university funds.

Steve Smith, director of public relations, said Central Michigan University extends congratulations to WMU for the donation.

"This news demonstrates the significant need and support in Michigan to address a growing physician shortage and access to quality health care — a need CMU is excited to work with communities in mid- and northern Michigan to address," Smith said in an emailed statement.

Dr. Ernest Yoder, founding dean of CMU's College of Medicine, could not be reached for comment because he was traveling.

Dr. Hal B. Jenson, founding dean of WMU's medical school, has officially started duties after being appointed in January.

WMU has not finalized when the first class of students will begin, but has reported it could either be 2013 or 2014.

Senior reporters Maria Amante and Ariel Black contributed to this report

Check cm-life.com for updates.