Larry Burdick a familiar face in Isabella County for 20-plus years as prosecutor

jms_larryburdick_02
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney Larry Burdich poses in his office Thursday afternoon at the Isabella County Building, 200 N. Main Street.

Things have changed for Larry Burdick since residents first elected him as Isabella County prosecutor more than 20 years ago.

Mount Pleasant has gotten larger in population size and the region has seen more criminal activity in recent years. Felony assault-type crimes, armed robberies and drug crimes have all increased.

“We’ve seen not only our case load increase quite dramatically from when I started,” Burdick said, “but the types of crimes are more serious and more complicated.”

But there’s more to the Central Michigan University alumnus.

He’s a part-time teacher and an organic apple farmer with an extensive history with Mount Pleasant and its residents.

Burdick was first elected as county prosecutor in 1988, and county residents have continued to re-elect him since.

“I’m gratified that I’ve been able to stay in this job as long as I have,” he said. “It’s a great job and I do the best I can for the citizens of the county.”

Senior Assistant Prosecutor Stuart Black said working with Burdick was his first legal job coming out of law school. He has been there for four years.

He said Burdick took him under his wing, and he has always felt comfortable around Burdick and everybody else in the office.

“Larry pretty much knows the law inside and out,” Black said. “He’s real approachable. A­ny time I have a question I don’t feel nervous having to come to the boss. It’s been a really positive experience.”

The office staff Burdick works with on a daily basis has remained fairly consistent.

“People leave on occasion but interestingly, a lot of the times, (when) we have assistant prosecutors leave, they’re going on to prosecutor positions in other counties that are a step up, so to speak, in their profession," Burdick said.

Becoming a local

After graduating from law school at Wayne State University, Burdick worked for the Detroit Law Department as a clerk. Once there he waited for the day he would be offered a position as an assistant corporate council.

As time wore on, he looked for other job opportunities. An assistant prosecutor position opened in Mount Pleasant and he decided to apply.

“I had never really thought about going into that area of the law but I certainly had fond memories of Mount Pleasant,” Burdick said, “so I applied for it.”

Burdick landed the job and worked his way up to the position he holds today.

The county prosecutor said he enjoys living and working in the city.

“I think it’s a perfectly-sized town in terms of being small enough to be a closer-knit community,” he said, “but being large enough to have a variety of things that you can do here.”

Burdick said he has experienced many personal and professional accomplishments during his time in Isabella County.

He and his wife, Theresa, raised four children in Mount Pleasant. His wife and three of his kids also graduated from CMU.

“I never thought I’d be doing this for a career and I can’t think of a better job as a lawyer,” he said. “I come in every day and there’s something new, there’s something that I’ve never experienced before and it keeps you interested.”

Burdick has also taught at Mid Michigan Community College for the last 25 years. He said he enjoys his second job because it keeps him connected with the younger crowd.

He is also a member of the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said he has worked with several county prosecutors, but Burdick has been the best.

The two have worked together for about four years.

“I have nothing but the utmost respect for him,” Mioduszewski said. “He has a lot of knowledge regarding the laws and always makes wise decisions. He’s going to do what’s in the best interest of the citizens in the county.”

Burdick said he plans to stay and continue to practice in Mount Pleasant while teaching classes on the side.

He said when he retires, he hopes to relocate to Traverse City with his wife and continue to harvest the organic apple orchard they purchased a few years ago.

The prosecutor said he has learned a lot from his time serving Isabella County.

“I’ve learned that there’s a lot I don’t know, I’ve learned that I shouldn’t hesitate to rethink things,” Burdick said, “and I guess I’ve learned that you have to try to look at people on an individual basis.”