MANZO: Perfect bracket down the drain again

Every year I tell myself that this is it.

This is the year I create the perfect NCAA Tournament bracket. I invest so much time that I’m bound to pull a 1972 Miami Dolphins-esque and win every game, right?

It’s my turn at perfection. I’m a journalist, not an athlete. I can’t hoist the Stanley Cup — I’ll only get a chance to hoist the red ones. I can’t win the MVP award, so this is my shot.

Computer, check. Television set to ESPN, check. Let’s do this.

I’m feeling confident, maybe even a little too confident — almost considered cocky to most. I’ve entered two tournament pools and felt greedy. I mean, I’d say I’m a knowledgeable college basketball fan.

So I thought I’d make a side bet ... with a woman. I’m not afraid to raise the stakes. Loser buys dinner.

I’ve got this in the bag. I’ll have a fillet mignon with a baked potato, salad and water. Hiking up the price is always the way to go when you win a dinner bet.

There are now 16 teams remaining. Suddenly, my stomach isn’t craving steak. Perfection, gone.

Did I really have No. 1 Pittsburgh against No. 6 St. Johns in my Elite 8? Did I really expect Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo to turn it around and work his March magic? Unfortunately, yes.

My bracket currently falls more into to the category of the 2008 Detroit Lions rather than those of the '72 Dolphins that I once had aspirations of joining.

Now I have my faith in three teams: No. 1 Ohio State, No. 1 Kansas and No. 3 Connecticut. My wallet depends on them. This is it. My tournament faith is invested into a poisonous nut, a hawk and a husky.

It’s sad that some people actually use the mascot method, but I wouldn't be surprised if that method is doing better than the one I used. Minutes, hours and even days of research have went down the tubes … again.

The No. 13 Utah State research was a waste, but not sticking to my gut and picking No. 10 Florida State feels even worse.

So this is it. The perfection is lost, but I have a chance to resurrect it all with those three teams. Perfection may come down the road — I just want to salvage something out of this.

And if not, dinner’s on me and I’m out of money.