New RSO offers chance for 'Boy Meets World' fans to watch, discuss show

Though a popular '90s sitcom has been finished for more than a decade, some students are celebrating their love for the show with a new registered student organization.

It began when Lansing sophomore Spencer Austin was watching "Boy Meets World" with Amanda Jaczkowski, a Clinton Township freshman, at 4 a.m. March 29. They then decided to see if they could create an RSO.

Austin quickly drafted a constitution and submitted for Office of Student Life approval. After one revision, the Boy Meets World Appreciation Club was approved on March 31, the birthday of William Daniels, who played iconic principal Mr. Feeny in the show.

"It was pretty remarkable to get approved on Mr. Feeny's birthday," said Austin, club president. "We really worked to get this done."

Tom Idema, assistant director of Student Life, was impressed with Austin's determination to get the RSO off the ground. Idema said that while there have been many different kinds of RSOs on campus, he is unsure if there has been any like this before.

"It doesn't take long to make an RSO if you do your homework, it can take up to a few months for some people," Idema said. "But he did it very quickly."

He said he is interested in seeing where the RSO goes it would be fun to watch.

Jaczkowski at first thought Austin was kidding about his desire to create the RSO, but Austin said he never was.

"I want this to be taken seriously," he said. "I want to be different than any other RSO on campus."

Jaczkowski, club vice president, said one of the main goals will be to discuss the life lessons in every episode.

She hopes the group will grow and gain support from students as word gets out.

"We are really hoping this takes off," she said.

Aside from providing a place for fans of "Boy Meets World" to gather and converse about the show, Austin said he has been in communication with Danielle Fishel, who played the character Topanga, about bringing her to campus.

He would also like to bring out either Rider Strong, who played Shawn, or Ben Savage, who played Cory, he said.

"I'll do anything it takes to bring her here," Austin said. "If I have to, I'll pay out of pocket."

Students can join the club via OrgSync. There's a one-time $15 fee that will cover the cost of a T-shirt and snacks for the semester. The first meeting is 8 to 10 p.m. on Wednesday in Pearce 107.