Central Michigan University graduates find work in teaching English overseas

Most students are a little hesitant to sell all their belongings and move overseas post-graduation, but not Jake Barnett.

The Macomb senior has already sold his big-screen television, surround sound system, collectibles and car in preparation to move to Asia and teach English as a second language after graduation.

Barnett is not exactly sure of his plans yet, but he knows how he feels.

"I'm terrified, I'm excited, I'm optimistic," he said. "I feel like I'm moving forward. I feel like I'm being constructive, which I think is really hard to feel sometimes at school."

Barnett said he is debating between moving to either China or Thailand. He has spent some time studying different aspects of each area in preparation to make up his mind for the move.

Job insecurity led Barnett to look into overseas employment opportunities, and his research made the idea of teaching look promising.

"Over in the (Far) East, you get a lot of respect," he said. "People look up to you, people treat you with dignity and you're not as expendable."

Barnett's research showed that in Asia, foreign teachers are normally paid more than local teachers.

The demand for teachers is also much higher than anywhere else in the world, he said.

Rich Forest, instructor of English language and literature, said student interest in teaching English as a second language is increasing.

"It's a growing area; it's an explosion of English teaching abroad," he said.

Forest said Central Michigan University has programs specifically aimed toward students who wish to teach English as a second language. Any student with an education major can sign a minor in English as Second Language. Courses can also be taken without signing the minor and used as electives.

CMU also has a master of arts degree in teaching English to speakers of other languages.

ESL classes, Forest said, teach students about second-language acquisition. The classes offer lessons in curriculum development, testing, materials development and linguistics.

CMU also has a registered student organization for students interested in teaching English as a second language.

Swartz Creek senior Kate Gilbert, president of the English as a Second Language Association, said her RSO has about six active members.

"We basically meet every other week to discuss different teaching resources, methodology or practices that could be used in the classroom — whether overseas or in the U.S.," she said.

Gilbert said her RSO includes not only traditional CMU students, but also international students who will be moving back to their home countries to teach English.

Gilbert also plans on teaching English as a second language after graduation.

"But not overseas," she said. "I would rather do it in a K-12 setting."

Barnett did not intend on teaching overseas post-graduation, but said when he heard of the option, he investigated further.

"Life leads you down some weird twists and turns sometimes," he said. "I've always had an affinity for language though, ever since I was younger"