CMU baseball wins doubleheader at Akron

The Central Michigan baseball team evened its record in Mid-American Conference play with a sweep of Akron on Saturday in a doubleheader played at Lee R. Jackson Field in Akron, Ohio.

CMU (15-17, 4-4 MAC) got six runs in the second inning of Game 2, highlighted by a two-run triple from senior Brendan Emmett, to win 8-7. Junior William Arnold and senior Matt Faiman each had RBI hits in the inning.

Junior right-hander Zach Cooper (2-2) picked up the win, going five innings and giving up five runs on seven hits. Sophomore left-hander Dietrich Enns pitched the final two innings to earn the save.

In Game 1, the Chippewas took advantage of Akron errors to escape with a 3-2 series-opening win.

Sophomore Jordan Dean got CMU on the board in the second inning with an RBI double after Faiman reached on an error. The Zips responded in the bottom half of the inning, but Arnold laid down a suicide squeeze in the third to score the go-ahead run in senior Robbie Harman, who reached second on a throwing error.

Akron recorded four errors in the game. The Chippewas had just three hits in the win.

Junior left-hander Trent Howard (3-3) earned the win, allowing four hits in seven innings and striking out four.

The two teams will play the final game of the series at 1 p.m. today in Akron.