CMU softball keeps it going with sweep of Bowling Green

Bowling Green proved to be no problem for Central Michigan as the Chippewas swept the Falcons Saturday, recording 25 hits and 17 runs on the day.

Sophomore right-hander Kara Dornbos picked up a win in the first game by a 7-3 score and senior right-hander Kari Seddon started in the circle in Game 2, getting a 10-2 win.

“Both pitchers did a nice job for us,” said CMU head coach Margo Jonker. “Our catchers called the games this weekend versus our coaching staff calling it, and I thought both (Amanda) Klosterman and Cory (DeLamielleure) did a nice job calling games.”

The opening game of the doubleheader ended the team’s streak of four straight games won by mercy rule.

CMU (20-12, 5-3 MAC) recorded 14 hits in Game 1 and 11 in Game 2, improving to 5-3 in the MAC – a record that was just 1-3 coming into the weekend.

The first inning continued to be a strong aspect for the Chippewas in the second game Saturday.

Eleven Chippewas made their way into the batters box, scoring seven runs, all with two outs, including a career milestone - the first collegiate home run by DeLamielleure.

“I thought our offense did really well, especially with our two-out hitting,” Jonker said. “Some people were struggling and we tried to get them a few at bats to see if we could get them out of the little slumps they might be in.”

The team never lost control of the game, despite giving up single runs in the third and fifth innings.

Seddon got the start, allowing one run (unearned) on three hits in three innings before being replaced by freshman Chelsea Sundberg. Her replacement gave up one run on one hit– a solo homerun by right-fielder Katie Yoho.

The win was the team’s sixth consecutive.

Game 1

Dornbos pitched a complete game, giving up three runs on five hits while striking out five.

Sophomores Macy Merchant and Summer Knoop and junior Rachel Hensel each picked up two hits on three at bats, combining for four RBIs. Junior Molly Coldren hit her team-leading eighth home run of the season in the fourth inning.

The Falcons’ only lead of the game came in the fourth inning following two home runs by shortstop Hannah Fulk and first baseman Paige Berger, but it was short lived as CMU answered back in the bottom half of the inning to take back the lead for good.

“In Game 1 we came back, so that was impressive,” Jonker said. “I thought it was a total team effort overall. We took advantage of their mistakes and jumped on their bad pitches.”

Jonker said she hopes the weekend will boost the team’s confidence heading into Wednesday’s game against Michigan.

“Hopefully we play the same way, and we can have the same pitch selection against Michigan,” she said. “We expect to win - that’s our goal.”

The first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. Wednesday at Alumni Field in Ann Arbor.