CMU softball returns home to host Detroit in doubleheader

The Central Michigan softball team has arrived home after 26 games played away from Mount Pleasant.

CMU will play a doubleheader against Detroit at 2 p.m. on Wednesday at Margo Jonker Stadium.

“I’m really excited,” said sophomore Summer Knoop. “Being on the road is always tough, having to come off the bus and play. (Today) we’ll be able to get up and do our own thing and get ready to play.”

To prepare for Wednesday's games, the Chippewas were able to practice on the field as opposed to inside.

“It’s obvious good playing on our home field in front of our fans,” said CMU head coach Margo Jonker. “The field is in great condition. The new infield is in great shape, without that we’d be in trouble.”

Detroit comes to Mount Pleasant with a 5-19 record. The Titans are playing on two consecutive days, as they split a doubleheader with Canisius in Detroit.

Only sophomore/second baseman Rachel Copple has a batting average above .300 for the Titans, who also don’t have a pitcher with a earned run average lower than 5.75. As a team, they have a .210 batting average and opponents have hit .370.

“We played them last year and they’re going put up a fight and we’re ready for that,” said sophomore Macy Merchant, who boasts a .278 batting average with 22 hits, second most on the team.

In their previous meeting last season, CMU swept the doubleheader in Detroit, winning 9-0 and 8-0, respectively.

“Detroit is in a transition period with their program,” Jonker said. “They have a new coach in her second year. They’re all fighting for spots there. They’re a team that will never give up and will be fiesty.”

Titans head coach Sunny Jones is used to Mid-American Conference play, as she coached at Toledo as an assistant for three years before going to Detroit.

The Chippewas have done well in non-conference play, posting a 13-9 record, all of which came at a neutral site or away from home. CMU will try to shake off a bad weekend that left it with a 1-3 start in the MAC. This will give the Chippewas an opportunity to work on things before MAC play resumes.

“I need to focus on hitting the ball were it’s pitched,” Knoop said. “Not trying to do too much and getting good hits right now.”

The Chippewas (14-12, 1-3 in MAC play) will get back into MAC play when they host Toledo for a doubleheader on Friday and Bowling Green for single games Saturday and Sunday.

“It’s good to be on our own turf,” Merchant said. “Where we’re comfortable and we’re we’ve seen the ball over and over. It’s going to be fun.”