FECTEAU: People with mental disabilities should not be feared, can broaden your horizons

Until I was a junior in high school, I was always somewhat hesitant around a particular group of people — people with mental disabilities.

It’s not at all that I didn’t like them; I guess I just didn’t understand how to act in their presence.

I have come to learn many of them may have a better understanding of life than I do, and they should give me no more to fear than any other person.

My mom, a special education assistant teacher, was the first to introduce me to people with mental disabilities, particularly those with autism.

I remember nervously backing away as I was approached by an autistic student named Amanda.

She crookedly walked toward me and reached out her hand to grab mine. She repeatedly said, “I am Amanda,” with a big smile on her face. I tried to hide my nervousness while I greeted her and shook her warm, loose grip.

Not only was I uneasy while encountering her, I was equally concerned being around all the students my mom worked with — and adored — on a daily basis.

That was until I really met Amanda.

My mom now cares for the 20-year-old a few days a week and doing so has made her feel like part of the family.

Becoming more comfortable around those who need such patience and understanding has taken time and experience. However, being around people with mental disabilities truly did teach me to be a more supportive and patient person.

Although autism is characterized by impaired communication and social skills, I have learned the most from those with the disorder. Over the past three years, Amanda has taught me more about life than I have learned from meeting anyone else.

She doesn’t worry about materialistic things like what’s “cool” at the moment or how much money she has. Instead, the smaller things like a thunderstorm are what make her jump up and down for joy.

Since then there has never been a time that being around students with mental disabilities has failed to bring a smile to my face. It’s like seeing their joy instantly spreads happiness to my heart.

Since April is National Autism Awareness Month, it is a special opportunity to spread familiarity with the effects of autism.

The 1.5 million autistic people in the U.S. are just like anyone else without a disorder. Although, they are actually the ones who are gifted.

I want people to know it’s okay to not fully understand how to react to people with autism. But I also want people to know that being comfortable around them can lead to extremely rewarding experiences.