HOFFMAN: Springtime not quite here, time for things to heat up

This spring has been a true testament to what Michigan weather is like — unpredictable, mean and vengeful.

Spring technically started March 21, but we have yet to see more than a week of spring-like weather, and this is seriously putting a damper on my mood.

Usually I long for spring, not for the flowers, the sun, green grass or girls on in-line skates, but for the chance to wear shorts again. Aside from the sock and necktie, shorts are my favorite articles of clothing, I feel like I can accomplish anything in shorts.

They are not as restricting as pants and allow not only for more free movement but also keep me cooler; meaning when called upon my muscles will be much more efficient in whatever task I assign them.

Last fall I wrote a column about how Central Michigan University has not properly prepared me for a zombie apocalypse, which is true, but I feel like even if I wasn't independently prepared, I'd be better off in shorts.

The list of things I can do easier in shorts as opposed to pants is long. Climbing trees, hopping fences, fending off zombies, running a mile, playing a gig — all these things are easier to accomplish when clad in shorts.

But no. Mother Michigan decided to delay my favorite time of year for a little while. I just checked the forecast for tomorrow's weather and according to www.weather.com, there is a high of 49 degrees Fahrenheit — on April 21, one month after the official start of spring.

I am usually not one to complain about the weather. In fact, it usually irks me when people do so because it is something none of us have any control over, therefore why complain? But this is getting ridiculous.

Michigan is notorious for having weather that consistently throws its inhabitants through loops. We are used to having uncommonly cold days in July and 70-degree days in February, but this delay of Springtime weather is uncanny.

Maybe it's all those lakes surrounding us, or perhaps our punishment for some unknown offense. Come on Lady Michigan, bring me the sunshine.