Jonker 'frustrated' with game cancellations

The last five Central Michigan softball (13-9) games have been canceled due to bad weather, giving the team less games to prepare for conference play.

“It’s very frustrating to not be able to get the games in,” said CMU coach Margo Jonker. “We have to make the most of the opportunity that we have. We can start this weekend, and start out strong.”

The Mid-American Conference regular season starts Friday in Kalamazoo, when the Chippewas face rival Western Michigan (5-18). The five-less games took away from CMU batters many chances for more at bats and innings pitched to get ready for the MAC.

“It’s not helpful, but we did a nice job playing on these spring trips,” Jonker said. “That’s why we have them.”

The snowstorm last week didn’t just affect games too. The Chippewas haven’t been able to take advantage of outdoor practices with snow on the ground in Mount Pleasant.

“Being on the mound outside makes a big difference,” said sophomore pitcher Kara Dornbos.

The Chippewas last game played was March 19 in a 3-0 loss against Michigan State. During the 12-day layoff, CMU was supposed to play doubleheaders with Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne and Oakland University and a single game with Indiana. All were canceled due to rain or poor field conditions.

“Not being outside is what’s hurting us,” said senior pitcher Kari Seddon. “We’ve been inside and other teams are playing outside and its been too wet to play here.”

The Chippewas were able to get outside to practice on Thursday before the trip south, giving the players a chance to pitch off the mound, and field outside on Margo Jonker Stadium.

“It was great just being outside in the dirt to get groundballs and see live pitching outside,” Seddon said.

Friday in Kalamazoo, rain showers are predicted for the afternoon. A 40 percent chance at 1 p.m. goes up to 60 percent at 3 p.m. The doubleheader is set to begin at 1 p.m.

The Chippewas will travel to DeKalb, Ill., to play Northern Illinois on Saturday and Sunday to face Northern Illinois (10-14).