Paws for a cause: 'Furry 5K' raises money for Humane Animal Treatment Society

ark-furry5k-02
Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer Kentwood senior Liz Bergsma holds two-year-old Mitzy after completing the Furry 5K run, walk, stroll on CMU's campus Sunday morning. The event was held to raise money and awareness for the Humane Animal Treatment Society of Isabella County. "It was a really fun atmosphere, and it was really fun to have our dogs on the walk with us", said Bergsma.

Though Kara Cooke and her dog Maddie have been walking for years, their stroll on Sunday morning was for more than exercise.

The Romeo junior was one of 60 human participants at the "Furry 5K," a marathon event starting outside of Finch Fieldhouse hosted by Meeting Professionals International at Central Michigan University.

"I knew that it would be a challenge for her to do it," the Romeo junior said. "She's 10, so she's old."

Troy senior Anna Siroonian, campus representative of MPI, said runners had the option to bring their dogs and either run, jog or walk their way through the course spanning campus.

"We decided to do this 5K for (the Humane Animal Treatment Society, 1105 S. Isabella Road) because it's our philanthropy as a (registered student organization)," she said. "We just wanted to get an event where people would come out. I feel like having dogs here definitely brings more people out, because who doesn't like dogs?"

In addition to a 5 kilometer run/walk, the event also featured live music from Moore Media Records artists, a silent auction, T-shirts for participants and food.

As one of the volunteers, Jordan Hathaway, a Zeeland junior, worked to fundraise for the event and coordinate the silent auction.

"I checked the weather like every five minutes because of the thunderstorm, but I'm happy with the turnout," Hathaway said.

Despite Hathaway's and Siroonian's concerns, the weather remained mostly clear throughout the three-hour event, with only minor rain and cloud cover.

Siroonian said MPI had raised $324 prior to the 5K, and is hoping to raise over $800 for HATS. She said she wants to make the event an annual occurrence.

Mount Pleasant resident Corey Friedrich ran the 5K on his own, and finished first in 17 minutes and 13 seconds. Friedrich runs a 5K once a month on average, and is an avid supporter of HATS.

"I love animals and I love running," he said. "(HATS) is a great organization. I'm glad they're here to protect the animals in the Mount Pleasant area."

Cooke used to volunteer with HATS, and immediately jumped at the opportunity to participate in the Furry 5K to support one of her favorite organizations.

"I think it's so amazing, everything that they do," she said. "I love going to the animal shelter and playing with the dogs and stuff."

Cooke said she lives in an off-campus apartment, and her lease will not allow her to house animals.

"My parents came up and brought her for the weekend so that I could take her," she said.