Stomp Out MS 5k/10k run raises money, awareness for multiple sclerosis

bw_stompout5k_01
Bethany Walter/Staff Photographer From Left: Clare junior Ben Warner, Kristen Madden of White Lake and Vicki Mathey of Mount Pleasant finish the 5k run for Multiple Sclerosis on Preston Street by the Health Professions Building on Saturday morning. Warner, Madden and Mathey were all running so that Kohl's Cares For Kids would donate 500 dollars to Multiple Sclerosis.

Supporters of research for multiple sclerosis set out to raise money for a cure when they ran in the Stomp Out MS 5L/10K Saturday.

The event took place at the Health Professions building on campus. More than 100 participates ran in the event that went from the Central Michigan University campus to Deerfield Rd. and back.

The Heath Professions Building is a new location for the Stomp Out MS 5K/10K run and walk, said Midland graduate student Sarah Battjes.

“Usually we do it at Island Park, but we wanted to do it on campus to help raise awareness," said Battjes.

Money was raised from a spaghetti dinner the day before the event, selling T-shirts, donations from the runners and from sponsorships from local businesses, including Kohls.

“Somewhere between $2500 and $3000 is what we are projected,” Battjes said. “It’s all going to the National MS Society, Michigan Chapter, we aren’t keeping anything.”

Registration began on Saturday, April 9, at 8:30 a.m. at the Health Professionals Building. The race began at 10 a.m. A $20 minimum donation is required to race in the 5K and a $25 donation is required to race in the 10K, but participates were encourage to gather addition pledges as well.

Alma resident Ashley Bader said she was excited to run again. Last year the event was a great experience that was fun and well organized, she said.

“My uncle has MS, which is why I chose to support this charity, it affects me and my family,” Bader said.

This is the third year the Stomp Out MS 5K/10K Run and Walk has raised money towards the cure and prevention of MS. As well as the 5k and 10k run and walk there was also a mile fun run, information booths about MS, and testimonies from individuals who have been diagnosed with the disease.

“My mom has MS, so I thought it was a good cause,” Macomb sophomore Janell Herrick said.

Herrick ran the 5K.

Cathy Zuker , leader of the Isabella County-area Multiple Sclerosis Support Group, said she’s not as concerned with how much the event raises, she’s more excited about the awareness that it generates.

“They have been doing a great job," Zuker said. "What they’re doing is tremendous in making people aware that MS is out there and their working on a cure.”

Currently there are 400,000 Americans with Multiple Sclerosis, 18,000 in Michigan, and around 100 in Isabella county, Zuker said.