STOVER: Forget the baggage, Lions need to take Colorado CB Jimmy Smith in NFL Draft

Just take him — baggage and all.

Don’t overthink it. Quit digging for ghosts of the past.

The Detroit Lions should take Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith on Thursday at No. 13 overall in the first round of the NFL Draft.

It’s not the conventional pick. It’s not the name fans have clamored for. And be warned: It’s a boom-or-bust deal if you select Boulder’s finest.

His problem isn’t on the field. No, his long, lanky physique and impressive strength-speed combination bode well on the gridiron.

It’s those ghosts in the room that has people backing off.

Character issues — Jimmy Smith has them. To the extent of which these issues exist is what everyone, including personnel people and executives, are trying to figure out.

Smith has failed at least one drug test for marijuana in 2007, though it’s rumored that number could possibly be as high as four. He also has been cited for two minor in possession charges.

Some even question his football character — is he a gym rat? Does he take plays off? Will he step up in run fits?

It’s widely known Detroit needs help in the back end of its defense.

Adding Chris Houston at corner prior to last season paid major dividends. The Lions still need help even if Houston sticks around, though he’s insistent on testing the free agent waters, assuming he gets the right to do so after this Collective Bargaining Agreement and lockout mess eventually clears.

The popular sentiment recently told us that Nebraska star corner Prince Amukamara may slip into the Lions’ lap at No. 13. Amukamara, which we’ll affectionately call “Prince” from now on, stands a solid 6-feet, is thickly built and negated any questions about his speed after running a 4.43 40-yard dash at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine in February.

Assuming LSU’s Patrick Peterson is the first defensive back off the board, it is widely assumed Prince will go next.

But in time, the secret of Jimmy Smith has begun to emerge.

Smith has Chris McAlister size and presence, the former All-Pro corner for the Baltimore Ravens.

He’s 6-foot-2, 211 pounds and at 32 ¼ inches he has the longest arms of the top three corners, nearly two inches longer than Prince’s. He also ran a 4.46 40 in Indianapolis.

But what separates Jimmy Smith from Prince, and even Peterson, is his strength. Smith’s 24 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press was nine more than the mark set by the other two.

And he has the attitude and willingness to press at the line that the Lions absolutely love. Once his gets his long arms attached, the receiver is undeniably rerouted.

Prince, who’s hip swerve may be more impressive than his straight-line speed, will be a fine pro.

But Smith has the potential to be special. Really special.

His off-the-field problems occurred early in his time at Boulder.

The Lions were interested enough to hold extensive interviews with not just Smith, but his high school coach and a high school teammate. If they feel comfortable with Smith’s maturation, then the risk is minimized.

There are plenty of options at No. 13 overall and, with more options, also comes more risks.

Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers was supposed to be a top 5 pick until a serious degenerative knee issue raised some serious red flags.

Detroit will stockpile on defensive linemen under Schwartz, but this risk may be too much to gamble on.

Other possibilities at 13 include USC offensive tackle Tyron Smith, Boston College offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo or Missouri defensive end Aldon Smith, to name a few.

General Manager Martin Mayhew has said repeatedly that you do not draft because you have a weakness this year. Drafts set the foundation for the future and, sometimes, a dyer need this year — like at corner — can wait for the sake of adding a piece to the puzzle that will benefit the team for years.

But that’s not why you draft Jimmy Smith.

Every team covets a long, lanky, powerful cover corner who can run. One who can lock down half the field, or perhaps the opposing team’s best receiver.

That’s why you draft him.

That’s why you take him at 13. Trade down if it’s possible — which it entirely could be if a guy like Alabama receiver Julio Jones falls down the board — and take him there.

But don’t overthink this one. The reward completely overshadows the risk.

It’s time to tell those ghosts to disappear.