Students in canoe class brave Chippewa River despite chilly weather

jms_canoetrip_04
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Midland freshman Bryan Powell, left, looks on while navigating downriver as Waterford sophomore Ryan Wolf passes under a bridge and paddles Saturday afternoon on the Chippewa River. 13 students participated in the overnight trip for RLA: 150 Canoe Camping and Touring.

Even a freezing-rain storm could not douse the spirits of students on a canoe camping trip last weekend.

The class canoed down the Chippewa River from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon to conclude RLA 150: Canoe Camping and Touring. Students learned basic paddling strokes, river-reading skills, packing techniques, outdoor cooking and other skills for a successful camping experience.

“I wasn’t expecting the snow,” said Waterford sophomore Ryan Wolf. “Everyone was down to help each other, and that was cool to see.”

Lapeer senior Mary Mattson said the group faced many challenges but kept going despite the cold, wet weather.

“We went in Friday as a warmer," Mattson said. "We launched Saturday morning at Lake Isabella, canoed for four to five hours and camped at Deerfield Park.”

Mattson said they spent a few days before the trip going over all the gear they would need. They also paddled imaginary canoes in Finch Fieldhouse for preparation, she said.

Midland freshman Bryan Powell said practicing beforehand was crucial because it was a controlled experience.

“One of the only thoughts going through my mind was, ‘Am I getting credit for this?’ because it’s not sitting behind a desk," Powell said. "You’re out doing stuff."

Even though no more trips are required for class, some students continued to plan their own canoe trips in Michigan and elsewhere after returning.

“It’s nice taking away all the distractions, cellphones and laptops," said Ishpeming senior Rob Waters.

Mattson said even students who don’t have prior experience on the river should consider the class.

“I’m actually trying to get half my sorority girls to sign up,” she said.