Students strive for spring weather, deal with lingering winter

srp_springfashion

The start of spring came and went nearly a month ago, leaving Michiganders with only a few days of warmer weather to show off the latest fashion styles.

West Olive freshman Alexa Buckland said the season is about being “fun and flirty,” believing it’s best illustrated with floral prints, spring dresses and cardigans, and flip-flops and flats, not Uggs and rain boots. She said the season is about ditching winter clothes and wearing favorite spring outfits — jean shorts with flip-flops and a sweatshirt.

“I sometimes follow the trends, but I find a way to make most of my clothes work,” Buckland said. “If something in my closet is out of style I’ll still wear it, I don’t really care.”

Marcellus sophomore Bryanna Kutz held the same sentiment.

“Many people need to realize fashion trends are things that you don’t always need to follow,” Kutz said. “Sometimes you just need to go with your own flow.”

Kutz said people should always wear tasteful clothing during spring.

“You have to figure out what’s for you and make sure it isn’t trashy,” she said. “People shouldn’t be showing their midriffs and their shorts should be of appropriate length.”

June Bontselle, owner of June’s Boutique, 2011 1/2 E. Broadway St., said bright colors, retro styles and wide-leg pants are some of the most popular fashions this spring season.

“A few more of the classics are becoming popular,” Bonstelle said. “Bold prints, bright colors and long flowing dresses are definitely in. It’s kind of a ‘flower power, wild child’ thing.”

Emma’s Basement Boutqiue owner Kim Lovejoy agrees with Bonstelle. She also said bright colors and floral patterns are making a big push this spring.

“I think people are tried of winer,” she said. “They want something with some color, some really good color.”

Hamtramck freshman Erica Charles said spring is a time for bright colors and getting ready for the summer months.

She said wearing shades like yellow, blue, pink and green are usually the most fun. Charles keeps many brightly-colored shirts and capris on hand so she is always ready for summer, despite the shifting styles.

“I’m not too excited about the weather right now because it is taking way too long to get warm,” Charles said. “I’m just anticipating warmer weather coming my way.”

Briana Carten, a Rochester Hills freshman, is most excited about floral prints and purchasing new Vera Bradley bags to accentuate the season.

“I know for the upcoming warm weather I’ll constantly be in my bathing suit and that’s something that doesn’t change for me even after so many years,” Carten said. “I’m also excited for all of the ‘80s stuff that is coming back into style.”