WITH VIDEO: Third annual Downtown for a Pint still held, despite artist cancellation and weather

pf_downtownpint_05
Perry Fish/Staff Photographer Carson City junior Rikki Pifer, left, and Leonard junior Alison Emery dance in their seats while listening to the Satin Peaches play during Downtown for a Pint III Thursday evening at Rubbles, 112 West Michigan St. The benefit concert was put on by Alpha Kappa Psi to raise money for the Red Cross. "I'm obsessed with music," said Pifer.

Three years after Downtown for a Pint's inception, funds are still being raised, music is still playing and friends are still sharing food and drinks on a late spring night.

After beginning as a mere hot dog stand, the third annual Downtown for a Pint concert was a success, which benefited the American Red Cross.

LeRoy junior Wayne Blanchard developed and coordinated the event. He was given the challenge by his co-ed professional business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi, to put on a service event to benefit charity.

“By the end of the brainstorm session we were thinking, ‘so why are we having this hot dog stand?,” Blanchard said. “‘Why aren’t we just having bands?’”

This year’s event featured four artists. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. of Detroit headlined the concert. Elliot Street Lunatic of East Lansing, The Satin Peaches of Detroit and Jetpack On! of Mount Pleasant all performed short sets throughout the night.

Originally scheduled to be held at the corner of Main Street and Broadway Street in downtown Mount Pleasant, the concert was moved to inside Rubble’s Bar, 112 W. Michigan St.

Cheboygan senior Crystal Korn said though the move was planned last minute, it did have its positive aspects.

“The inside (setting) is giving it more of a close feel to the bands and the people around you,” she said. “And now since it’s in a bar, people can drink and listen to music at the same time.”

Mount Pleasant sophomore Amanda Leksche said it was the first time she attended Downtown for a Pint and she came to see The Satin Peaches play.

“I heard one of their songs on the radio and I started listening to them and I really like their music,” she said.

The Satin Peaches have performed at every year of the event.

“We had so much fun the last two years, we wouldn’t miss it,” said George Morris, guitarist and vocalist for the band.

Morris said The Satin Peaches played in the first Downtown for a Pint after they were approached by Central Michigan University alum Justin Rydzewski, who was working with Blanchard.

Rydzewski was looking to put on a benefit concert and asked Morris if his band would perform.

The Satin Peaches agreed, and the event was put together three weeks later.

In addition to his love of performing, Morris also supports the cause.

“I can’t say anything bad about the Red Cross,” he said.