THOMPSON: Clutch hitting non-existent for CMU softball team in weekend games

CMU softball went 1-3 in its opening weekend against Western Michigan and Northern Illinois, much to do with not capitalizing on opportunities to score.

The Chippewas’ lone win came Friday against Northern Illinois behind sophomore Kara Dornbos’ complete game, one-run outing to win 5-1. In that game, CMU head coach Margo Jonker talked about how “key hits” helped the offense.

That was the only game where the Chippewas took advantage of their opportunities. Hits all weekend put runners on base, but the timely hitting wasn’t there.

“We had a rough day (Saturday) — left a lot of runners on base and didn’t get the key hit,” Jonker said. “Their hitters really hit our pitchers. We played good defense but didn’t have pitching or hitting.”

The first game was a 8-7 loss because of two WMU swings bringing in six runs. The two-run shot and grand slam hurt CMU’s opportunities. The Chippewas left eight runners on that game, including leaving the bases loaded to end the game.

As good as this pitching staff is, there are going to be games when umpires shrink the strike zone or a pitcher has an off-day and the offense will need to win. The offense almost did that in the 8-7 loss, but was still one hit short of pulling it off.

Junior leftfielder Ashley Gilson struck out swinging to end the game. Gilson, who had recorded a double, left six runners on base during the WMU doubleheader.

Last year, Gilson led the team with a .326 average, but this year she has started 0 for her first 18 at bats until she hit the double.

“She’s been struggling on offense so it was key for her to get a hit and make a great defensive play,” Jonker said of her play. “She went over the fence and made a catch.”

The Chippewas need another player to step up, and if she can get back to her play from last year that featured five homers and 30 hits with 19 runs batted in, it will go a long way for CMU.

CMU didn’t get a key hit at all Saturday in the 2-1 and 8-0 losses.

In the first game against NIU, the Chippewas left nine runners on base in the one-run loss. That included leaving the bases loaded twice and another time stranding a runner on third with one out.

“Kara (Dornbos) pitched pretty well that game,” Jonker said. “We outhit them but didn’t get the key hit. Their slugging percentage was really good.”

In the non-conference slate, the Chippewas proved their pitching staff can be dominate, but to contend for the MAC they’re going to have to bring along the offense.

Getting hits wasn’t a problem this weekend, but the offense scoring and getting clutch hits was. In all four games, CMU got at least seven hits in three games and five in the other.

“We need the clutch hitting we had earlier in the season,” Jonker said.

The offense is making improvements, though. They just need to make the next step and drive in runners when they get those bases load two out at bats.

CMU (14-12, 1-3) will play its first home game at 2 p.m. Wednesday against Detroit. We’ll be able to see firsthand if the Chippewas will be able to put together all three facets of the game to live up to the high potential for a MAC run.