Annual Threads Fashion Show to discard theme limitations, move to McGuirk Arena Saturday

Just like every great journey begins with a single step, many Central Michigan University students' fashion careers begin with a single Threads.

The Threads Fashion Show featuring models clad in CMU student-designed and crafted apparel will be held 7 p.m. Saturday in McGuirk Arena.

Threads 2011 will spotlight 32 designers. Co-producer and designer Alissa Berriman, Orion senior, said each designer has between two and eight models, and can showcase different outfits on each model.

If you go... What: Threads 2011 fashion show showcasing student designs When: 7 p.m. Saturday Where: McGuirk Arena How much: $10 general admission, $15 VIP seating
Co-producer and designer Jason Gagnon said the entries are not required to conform to a general theme for the first time since the event's conception.

"We wanted to really do something different," the Riverdale senior said. "This year we decided to opt out of a theme. We wanted to go for more of a traditional fashion show. We wanted to really focus more on the designers than themes."

Gagnon said this year's show has evenly split designers into two categories: a fall- and winter-themed line and a spring- and summer-themed line, giving designers the option to create their own individual themed selections.

"I think it's great," Berriman said. "It allows the designers to feel free to do whatever they want without any restrictions."

The show was relocated from its original home in Finch Fieldhouse. Gagnon said he was excited for the change of venue.

"Finch is not horrible, but it's kind of like a bomb shelter," he said.

Gagnon thinks the Events Center will give designers a better chance to showcase their talents at a comparable price. The cost estimate for this year's show is $10,000, which is similar to last year's, Gagnon said.

Admission for Threads is $15 for VIP seating and $10 for general admission. Gagnon said he expects about 2,000 attendees.

Carson City senior Stephanie Burnham is modeling a dress from Gagnon's line. She walked in last year's show and is excited, though a little anxious, to repeat the performance.

"Last year I got to take my own shoes," she said. "This year he picked them, so I'm a little nervous for those. I'm really excited though — his collection is very cool."

Berriman designed a bridal line and Gagnon said his weather-inspired collection was made to imitate early spring thaws and fogs.

Gagnon said he has seen a mad tea party theme inspired by "Alice in Wonderland," an urban chic theme and a New York City rooftop garden party theme.

It is not required for Apparel Merchandising and Design students to participate in Threads, but it is a good idea, he said.

"It's a huge portfolio builder," Gagnon said. "(Threads) definitely shows what our program is made of"